Read ch. 18 on the Passive voice.
1) Learn the passive voice endings for the present tense: or, ris, tur, mur, mini, ntur.
2) Learn the passive voice endings for the imperfect tense: bar, baris, batur, bamur, bamini, bantur.
Passive voice endings for the future tense: bor, beris, bitur, bimur, bimini, buntur
3) Translating the passive voice:
- Go here (Active vs. Passive Voice) for an explanation of the active vs. passive voice in English.
- These sites (More on the Passive Voice—Choosing Passive Voice—Changing Passive to Active Voice) shows how to translate passive voice in present, past, future tenses.
Passive voice of verbs
Endings for present tense of passive verb
Or o amor [ama + or] videor
Ris s amaris videris
Tur t amatur videtur
Mur mus amamur videmur
Mini tis amamini videmini
Ntur nt amantur videntur
I am loved I am seen seed
You are loved you are seen
He/she/it is loved he/she/it is seen
We are loved we are seen
You are all loved y’all are seen
They are loved they are seen
Imperfect passive endings: bar, baris, batur, bamur, bamini, bantur
Amabar I was loved
Amabaris You were loved
Amabatur he/she/it was loved
Amabamur we were loved
Amabamini y’all were loved
Amabantur they were loved
Videbar I was seen
The Spartans were defeated by the Persians but we still remember the 300.
HOMEWORK: Conjugate in the present and imperfect passive,
Porto, portare (carry) —- moneo, monere (warn). Also translate.
Amo, amare. Love
Video, videre. see
The boy loves the girl. Puer amat puellam.
The girl does not love the boy. Puella non amat puerum.
The horse carries the man. Equus portat virum.
Passive voice= subject has something done to it.
The girl is loved by the boy. Puella amatur a puero.
The boy is not loved by the girl. Puer non amatur a puella.
The man is carried by the horse. Vir portatur ab equo.
The horse is carried by the man. Equus portatur a viro.
2 vowels in 2 different words following each other = hiatus
“It got broken. It happened. The vase was broken. ”
A, ab. + verb in passive voice, means “by.”