Salvete, omnes discipuli discipulaeque! / γειά σου!
- Quiz on: Perfect tense—pluperfect tense—future perfect tense (ch. 12)
- Also on the quiz: vocabulary pp. 78-79.
- Sentences (Sententiae Antiquae), 4, 5, 10).
- Perfect Active System of Verbs.
Classics and Film
- Finish watching The Warriors.
- On Greek history: A chronological overview (PDF file).
- Read Books 21-24 from Homer’s Odyssey and make sure you are caught up on the reading (you can read the poem online). There will be a reading quiz Friday/next week (???).
- See this online study guide on the Odyssey. Make a list of at least 5 main characters and note their equivalent in O Brother Where Art Thou, and how the characters as portrayed in the film differ from those in the epic poem.
- Xenophon’s Anabasis—this is the account by the Athenian general, Xenophon, that I mentioned in class. I am not assigning reading from it yet as I would like you to finish reading the Odyssey, as the plot and events in the poem have a huge influence on all of ancient Greek and Roman literature and on many of the films we will be viewing.
- Quiz on the personal pronouns: words for I, you, we, you (pl.) — go here for a chart with the modern and ancient Greek pronouns.
- Chapter 14: p. 86, 1, 2.
- Selections from Ovid’s Metamorphoses on Daedalus and Icarus.
- Ancient constellation maps.