- Elementary Latin
- Imperfect of passive voice for 1st and 2nd conjugation verbs.
- Endings: bar, baris, batur, bamur, bamini, bantur.
- Conjugate in present passive: laudo laudare, laudavi, laudatum (praise) — video, videre, vidi, visum (see).
- Translate: Sed tum Epeus unus ex Graecis, eis hoc consilium dedit: “Si magnum equum ligneum faciemus et Troianis dabimus, eos vincere poterimus; Graecos enim in equo condiderimus.”
“Nos bene docuisti,” Graeci dixerunt et istas insidias sine mora fecerunt.
Translate — remember the 3 different meanings of αύτός.
- αὐτὸς γὰρ σώσει τὸν λαὸν [people] αὐτοῦ ἀπὸ τῶν ἁμαρτιῶν [sin] αὐτῶν.
- καὶ ἐγὼ αὐτὸς ἄνθρωπος.
- οὐ γὰρ ἐν λόγῳ ἡ βασιλεία [kingdom] τοῦ θεοῦ ἀλλ’ ἐν δυνάμει [power].
- ὁ δὲ αὐτὸς διδάσκαλος[teacher] ἄξει [from ἄγω, lead] ἡμᾶς εἰς τὴν βασιλείαν τοῦ θεοῦ.
- αὐτὸς γὰρ λέγει [say] τοὺς αὐτοὺς λόγους αὐτοῖς καὶ ἡμῖν.
History of Rome
- Read in Livy, pp. 163-203.
- Choose a topic for your paper or presentation and send me an email if you haven’t yet (this assignment was originally due on Friday, 11am).
- In the email, be as specific as possible about what you will discuss by (1) listing at least three things you will discuss; (2) saying what pages in Livy’s History you will discuss; (3) saying what other texts you will use.