- Quiz on imperfect and future of passive voice for 1st and 2nd conjugation verbs; the two meanings of a/ab (from, by + verb in the passive); present passive infinitive.
- Endings: bar, baris, batur, bamur, bamini, bantur // bor, beris, bitur, bimur, bimini, buntur.
- Infinitive: Change final -e to -i.
- Conjugate in passive: laudo laudare, laudavi, laudatum (praise) — video, videre, vidi, visum (see).
- Quiz on present participle of the verb ‘to be’ (ὤν, οὖσα, ὄν); present participle; future participle.
- Yes, I do still want to try some of these sentences!
- αὐτὸς γὰρ σώσει τὸν λαὸν [people] αὐτοῦ ἀπὸ τῶν ἁμαρτιῶν [sin] αὐτῶν.
- οὐ γὰρ ἐν λόγῳ ἡ βασιλεία [kingdom] τοῦ θεοῦ ἀλλ’ ἐν δυνάμει [power].
- ὁ δὲ αὐτὸς διδάσκαλος[teacher] ἄξει [from ἄγω, lead] ἡμᾶς εἰς τὴν βασιλείαν τοῦ θεοῦ.
- αὐτὸς γὰρ λέγει [say] τοὺς αὐτοὺς λόγους αὐτοῖς καὶ ἡμῖν.
History of Rome
- Read in Livy, up to pp. 208.
- Websites with images: Perseus, Vroma.
- Roman government: cursus honorum.
- The following chart is from a Timeline of Roman history (by Jim Jones, West Chester University).
ROMAN MONARCHY 1200 BCE Etruscans reached northern Italy 800-500 BCE Greeks established colonies throughout southern Italy 800 BCE Phoenicians established Carthage on the north coast of Africa about 753 BCE village of Rome founded 600 BCE Rome was a province of Etruria 509 BCE Romans revolted against the Etruscan kings and created the system of government by the Senate and the Assembly THE CONQUEST OF ITALY 494 BCE first disputes between patricians (wealthy landowners who controlled the Senate) and plebeians (ordinary citizens) 450 BCE “Law of the 12 Tables” provides written Roman law 390 BCE Gaulic invasion sacked Rome 282-272 BCE War with Pyrrhus 265 BCE Rome completed the occupation of the Italian peninsula THE CONQUEST OF THE MEDITERRANEAN 264-241 BCE First war with Carthage (First Punic War) 238 BCE Conquest of Sardinia 229-228 BCE First Illyrian War (Balkans) 219 BCE Second Illyrian War 218-201 BCE Second Punic War (Hannibal crossed the Alps) 215-205 BCE First Macedonian War 200-197 BCE Second Macedonian War 200-191 BCE Gaul invasion of northern Italy 192-189 BCE Syrian War 171-168 Third Macedonian War 149-148 BCE Fourth (and final) Macedonian War 149-146 BCE Third Punic War and final defeat of Carthage